January 11, 2016

Happy New Year!

It might be a bit late, but I'd like to say New Year's greetings with my calligraphy!



I'm not sure if this can be called calligraphy, but I can't come up with a more appropriate word for it right now.
In Japanese, it's called アート書 (art sho), literally meaning "artistic letters" or "letter art", or デザイン文字 (design moji), which means "designed letters".
Have you got any other idea of what to call this kind of art?

Well, let me explain the letters in this work.
The word on the left is 新春 (shin-shun), and it means "a new spring."

--- SPRING??

Yes, it's spring in the Old Calendar.
Nowadays we call this season winter, but traditionally we use the word 春 (spring) for New Year's greetings.
I think it's not just because it's a tradition but also because Japanese people regard spring as the season of beginning and that matches the image of New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment